What does a Healthy Lifestyle Look Like?
Hippocrates said it best “Let your food be your medicine and let your medicine be your food”.
Suggestions for a Health-Promoting Diet are:
- reduce your fat intake but eat healthy fats such as olive oil and omega-3 fatty acids found in wild salmon.
- eat a predominantly plant-based diet, especially raw leafy green vegetables and raw fruits.
- eliminate or greatly reduce the intake of refined sugar. If you must have a sweetener, choose stevia which is suitable for diabetics
- do not eat processed foods that contain high caloric intake, high salt content, unhealthy fats and very little nutrients, as well as food additives and coloring agents
- eat organically, reduce your exposure to pesticides and herbicides
- keep salt intake low and potassium intake high
- drink 32 to 48 ounces of filtered water daily
- determine your caloric needs to achieve or maintain a healthy body weight
- stop smoking
- reduce or eliminate alcohol intake
- reduce or eliminate caffeine
- exercise daily to suppress appetite for weight control, increase stamina and energy, reduce stress and sleep better
- sleep 7-9 hours daily
By Evelyne Mitskopoulos, CNP