[HR] Public Holiday Pay Calculation Changing Again July 1st 2018
- On May 7, 2018, the Ontario government filed Ontario Regulation 375/18 under the Employment Standards Act (ESA), to change temporarily how public holiday is to be paid and calculated.
- In essence, the government is reverting back to the old formula that was in place before the “Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act, 2017 (Bill 148)” came into force January 1, 2018.
- The change back is due to complaints from employers who have been grappling with the new public holiday pay formula. the Changing Workplaces Review (CWR) found that the new public holiday rules were the source of the most complaints under the ESA and needed to be simplified.
- The new regulation will be in effect while the Government conducts further review of the public holiday pay system under Part X of the ESA.
- It’s important to note that Ontario Regulation 375/18 is an interim measure and is scheduled to be revoked on December 31, 2019.
Read more about this change by clicking this link.