Financial Assistance for Expensive or Brand Drugs
Most drug manufacturers have a financial assistance program to help subsidize the cost of their drugs for patients who either have a low income, insurance coverage limits, or both.
It’s important for you as a plan sponsor to be aware of these so that you can make sure your plan design is appropriately structured to take advantage of these programs.
- Visit RxHelp.ca or Innovicares.ca and educate your employees about the website
- Find the drug that you or your employee is on
- Print off the corresponding drug card
- Take the card to the pharmacy to synchronize your company plan with the manufacturer’s subsidy
Can’t find your drug on there?
- Humira Canada (enrollment form) (rheumatoid arthritis / anti-inflammatory)
- Remicade Canada (telephone enrollment at 1-866-872-5770) (rheumatoid arthritis / anti-inflammatory)
- Neupogen or Neulasta: Victory Program through Amgen (Cancer)
- Enbrel Canada Enliven program – patient assistance / Trillium deductible subsidization 1.877.936.2735
Ontario Government Drug Funding Programs
- Trillium Drug Program: This should be your first stop if you are prescribed very expensive drugs.
- New Drug Funding Program (NDFP)
- Ontario Public Drug Programs
Beneplan recommends the following plan design details:
- Add a drug cap of $5,000, $10,000 or $15,000. Most of our plans have a $10,000 drug cap.
- Add a co-pay of 10% or 20%
- Educate all employees about all patient assistance programs and the Ontario Trillium Drug Program
- There are more steps required – to learn more, contact Beneplan at 1-800-387-1670 x252.